Saturday 9 July 2016

Generation Gap

So after having lost the instant spark which lets you blog just as you want and floundering for over 6 months as to what I can blog about, I think I have found a decent topic that may be of interest to you guys.

I am now 24 years and I get to interact with 18-20 year olds in my workplace and otherwise. Considering that I'm in the CA field, where little ones put themselves through a 3 year stint called "articleship/internship", I get to see a whole lot of differences between how I was at their age and how they are.

1. Swear words

The constant use of the F word. It's not like I don't swear , but I reserve my diamonds for occasions that deserve them, unlike the kids these days that say "hey What the F is the name of this song ". When I was in school and in the first few years of college, had I used these words in such a fashion, I would have been called "Corrupted". In those times, my dad used to tell me the worst thing I can say to someone is "Shut up". Good that my dad doesn't have kids in this generation.



2. English music mania

This is a weird phenomenon that's rife among the young adults. They only listen to English music and funnily those of very few well known artistes. I get a lot of "Whaaatt ! You don't know Eminem.. Whaaat! You don't know Taylor Swift's love story, Whaaaattt! You haven't listened to DJ Guetta.... What not. Its okay to listen to these songs, but it really gets to you when they pretend to not have listened to Tamil songs. Its like oh Tamil songs, I don't like them.  No offence to people who actually don't like and listen to Tamil songs. My tirade is only against the pretenders.


3. Party culture

Okay .I entered a pub for the first time when I was 21 and sat in one corner with my co-non drinker friends and left after an hour. We entered because it was where the farewell party for our seniors was hosted. Since then I have seen a lot of drink parties. I saw one where many little kids 18-20 years of age went bonkers pushing vodka down their throats. That was really scary. In my days, the worst crime one can commit at the age of 18-20 was to watch an R Rated english movie


4. Game of Thrones
Okay this calls for a separate sub heading. The Game of Thrones mania has completely taken over the country and has left us, simpletons, bereft of an interesting conversation piece. When people go berserk over GoT, most of us old timers pretend to be listening, while thinking about how awesome Vijay was in Theri, or mulling over when Kabaali will release. The first ever English series I watched was Friends at the age of 18. Somehow I have always been more comfortable with Arasi, Thirumathi Selvam, Vani Rani etc but hey its good that this generation isn't watching that kind of crap either.


5. Favorite actor/actress/crush

I ask this generation's kids who your favorite actor or who your celebrity crush is and I get a reply along the lines of Kit Harrington (don't know who he is !), Harry Styles, Adam Levine etc. In my days, it used to be Thala or Thalapathy instantly, apart from Rajni who is an evergreen favorite, At least when we used to want to act all cool and quote Hollywood personalities as our crushes, we would say Will Smith, Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt etc. Now if I throw these names around, you get a very funny look thrown your way. So I have settled for Ashton Kutcher, if anyone asks me who my Hollywood crush is. Need to survive in the cut throat environment

So yeah, Its pretty weird to see so many differences between me and these 20 year olds. I pity my future children. I'm going to be one uncool parent.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Akka,

    Well written and you've spoken your mind out. While I am largely in agreement with you, I really am not in agreement with you in your tirade against the current generation.

    1. Swear Words - I agree, there is no point uttering them when you don't really mean it but at the same time, I have known people of my age, who, at that time, used to swear indiscriminately for no reason. There are all kinds of people across all generations and I really don't agree with this holier than thou stance.

    2. English music mania - no comment. Music is personal choice. The only aspect I agree with is their silly pretending of not having listened to songs in a vernacular language.

    3. Party culture - I don't drink; have nothing against those who do, so long as they're above 18 and are controlled about their drinking. I don't appreciate it when they go out of control and cause a menace. But then, such people have existed during 'my days' too (which is barely four years ago).

    4. To be honest, India requires better Television drama. Till then, only GoT and Friends will fill the vaccum.

    5. No comment. Not a movie person.

    Good post. Here is my counter to some of your points in my own blog post - http://vata624.blogspot.co.ke/2015/12/westernisation.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will read your post Andy :D. This is in no way a tirade, just a comparison between my times and now. Just an observation from my side. I'm always a live and let live person :D I'm glad you think my post is good :D

      Delete
  2. Agreed kediakka, there is indeed so much change between kids (to us!) your age and the ones 4 or 6 yrs younger. Watching it agape!

    ReplyDelete

  3. Nice information thanks for sharing it..!it will be helpful for people searching this kind of information..

    Packers and Movers KK Nagar

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great blog Aishu!
    I wish I had your knack for words
    I also find the drive to Anglicize everything at the expense of the rich Indian culture very troubling

    ReplyDelete